Friday, April 08, 2005

Diane Keaton

"Filming Annie Hall was effortless....No one had any serious expectations. We were just having a good time moving through New York's landmark locations. As always, Woody consumed himself with worries about the script. Was it too much like an episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show? I told him he was nuts. Relax....

"Woody's direction was the same. Loosen up the dialogue. Forget the marks. Move around like a real person. Don't make too much of the words, and wear what you want to wear. Wear what you want to wear? That was a first. So I did what Woody said... I stole what I wanted to wear from cool-looking women on the streets of New York.Annie's khaki pants, vest, and tie came from them. I stole the hat from Aurore Clement ... who showed up on the set of The Godfather II one day... Aurore had style, but so did all the street-chic women livening up SoHo in the mid-seventies. They were the real costume designers of Annie Hall.

"Well, that's not entirely true. Woody was. Every idea, every choice, every decision, came from the mind of Woody Allen....

 "I hadn't seen the movie. When I won the New York Film Critics Circle Award, I figured I'd better get myself to a movie theater before I ave my acceptance speech. It was 1978.... Like Mom, I was so consumed by the 'me' of it all that I couldn't pay attention to the story. I kept thinking, What's all the fuss about? Predictably, I hated my face, the sound of my voice, and my awful 'mannerisms.' On the positive side, I knew I was lucky. And I was grateful...."

"Most people assumed Annie Hall was the story of our relationship. My last name is Hall. Woody and I did share a significant romance, according to me, anyway. I did want to be a singer. I was insecure, and I did grope for words....

"I knew winning [the Academy Award] had noting to do with being the 'best' actress. I knew I didn't deserve it. And I knew I'd won an Academy Award for playing an affable version of myself. I got it...."

--Diane Keaton, Then Again, p. 125-128, 139
  (New York: 2011)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home